Miller Log House, 1847
<< Back to Virtural Tour
History of the Miller Log House
This square-notched log structure was built in 1847 in South Oak Cliff by
William Brown Miller and his slaves. It reflects the need for temporary
shelter on the Texas frontier. Constructed of oak and cedar, with local
limestone for the chimney, this building served as the Miller's residence
for fifteen years and as one of the earliest schools in Dallas County.
Furnished primarily with Texas-made items, this house reflects the
self-sufficient lifestyle of pioneer families.